News Feature

Brooklin
Originally published in The Weekly Packet, January 30, 2014
“Flash point” reached to cause Brooklin fire
Mutual aid from Blue Hill and Sedgwick called in

by Faith DeAmbrose

A fire believed to have been caused by an overheated chimney a bit too close to a wall kept firefighters from Brooklin, Blue Hill and Sedgwick busy on Saturday, January 25.

The 921 Bay Road home owned by Dorinda Scheerer sustained some damage as firefighters had to remove an interior and exterior wall to get to the flames. According to Brooklin Fire Chief Sam Friend, the chimney appeared to have been installed too close to a wall, not allowing enough air to flow between the exterior chimney and interior wall. That wall, over time, heated until a “flash point” was reached and caused the fire.

Approximately a dozen firefighters responded and worked quickly to extinguish the flames. “We were able to put out the fire using a minimal amount of water,” said Friend, thereby reducing the impact to the home. Firefighters were called to the scene just before 9 a.m. and left around 11 a.m. The house was insured, said Friend.