Originally published in The Weekly Packet, May 2, 2013
Fire departments save garage in Blue Hill
Members of the Blue Hill, Brooklin and Sedgwick fire departments responded to a garage fire on the Mines Road at 3:30 p.m. on April 29.
by Faith DeAmbrose
A mid-afternoon structure fire at a garage on Mines Road brought out firefighters from nearby towns on Monday, April 29. The fire, which mostly smoldered causing billows of smoke to pour from the roof, is believed to have been caused by hot welding materials.
The garage at 269 Mines Road serves as a repair shop for Buddy Poole, who was actively welding at the shop at the time. Fire Chief Denny Robertson said Poole left the shop shortly after he finished and came back to find a fire had begun along the back wall.
First on the scene was Rick Bannister who began to set up a system of water hoses to knock the fire down. “It was a fairly good save,” said Robertson. Firefighters then opened windows and doors to expel the heated gases that had accumulated in the building.
The Blue Hill Volunteer Fire Department was assisted by the Brooklin and Sedgwick departments and cleared the scene in about three hours. The building was insured, said Robertson, who added that it doesn’t appear to be a total loss.