Originally published in
Seasonal Guide, September 27, 2012
What to do while you’re here, or how to rediscover home
• Visit the businesses on our Browser’s Trail, detailed in our online Shopping Guide.
• Check out the Cuisine Connection to help you find a great meal. Included is the Restaurant Guide, a comprehensive listing of area eateries.
• Indulge in some visual or performing arts detailed in our Arts Guide, which also includes a comprehensive listing of area venues and galleries—the area is known for its fine art. Though many galleries will have sporadic fall hours, or close altogether, be sure to contact the galleries if you’re interested in checking them out—often the artists and gallery owners are more than happy to open their doors by appointment.
• Check our Outdoor Handbook before planning hikes, picnics or kayaking. A selection of ideal fall hikes has been handpicked by local experts and our guide lists many more recommended trails that may be off the beaten track. Or, review this year’s hunting regulations and information to get ready for the fall hunting season.
For a more detailed picture of the region, pick up a copy of our free Bay Community Register at local businesses or at one of our offices in Blue Hill, Castine or Stonington.
• Find out more about events highlighted here or other fantastic community offerings in our fully searchable Community Calendar or in any one of our three community newspapers: Castine Patriot, Island Ad-Vantages and The Weekly Packet.
We hope the information in this guide helps you more fully enjoy the recreational, cultural and shopping opportunities available to you as a visitor to or resident of our communities.