Local news and information from
Blue Hill, Brooklin, Brooksville, Sedgwick, and Surry, Maine.
Visiting the area?
Find where to go and what to do in our Seasonal Guide Visitor's Portal.
Check out our newly rebuilt online store
As part of the celebration of Blue Hill’s 250th Anniversary, the Blue Hill Historical Society and the Jonathan Fisher House will jointly hold a fundraiser on Thursday, July 26, featuring a house tour of eight area homes.
This tour has a broad range of homes, in age as well as style, according to a news release from tour organizers.
On South Street, John Bates’ home, Parker House, is the oldest home, being built in 1816 or 1812. Steeped in history, names associated with the house, such as Joseph Wood, George Clough, Frederick Merrill and Effie Kline, paint a broad picture of just how important this house is to Blue Hill’s history. The homeowner will have Effie Kline memorabilia on display and YouTube videos showing the evolution of the house’s design. This ambitious restoration project is a wonderful example of what you get when passion, patience and perseverance come together. The Federal-style Parker House is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The former Howard “Cub” Osgood House, now owned by the Cuthberts, is believed to have been built around 1840 and is a great example of a classic two-chimney cape.
Gruesome Gables on Parker Point, built in 1895, is the next oldest home on the tour. Points of interest are the massive granite fireplaces and one of the largest dining tables in town as well as being a lovely example of the shingle-style cottage.
The Carroll residence was built in 1907 by Theodore Nevin. This classic shingle summer cottage had the second floor removed in the 1970s, but was carefully restored after the current owner purchased it in 2002.
“Elwin Cove” on Woods Point Road was built in 1908 by inventor-manufacturer Edwin Brooks. Its bold roofline, encircling verandas and overhanging second floor make for a dramatic look.
Originally built as a simple Greek Revival farmhouse, “Spring Cove” on York Road was converted to summer use in the early 1900s and has been added to many times. The current owners renovated in the 1970s to its current classic clapboard look. We will have shuttle service available for this home, as the long road in can be narrow in places. Look for the signs directing you to a separate parking area.
“Blueberry Hill” was designed by noted Princeton architect Rolf Bauhan in 1938 in classic New England style. The shorefront playhouse, also by Bauhan, was once featured in Architectural Forum magazine. The paneled dining room was based on the Apollo Room in Williamsburg.
The “newest” house on the tour is on Sculpin Point. This New England style house was built in 1948 for Mr. and Mrs. Henry Becton, Sr. Sweeping views of the Harbor and Blue Hill Bay are enjoyed from every room.
Tickets may be purchased in advance at The Meadow and Fairwinds Florist in Blue Hill. Tickets the day of the sale may be purchased at the Blue Hill Historical Society’s Holt House and the Jonathan Fisher House. Both museums will be open the day of the tour for viewing. For more information, see bluehillhousetours.com or call the Fisher House at 374-2459.